Despite being the smallest province in South Africa, 50% of all crime committed in South Africa comes from Gauteng.
International drug syndicates operate from Johannesburg (The main business and drug capital of South Africa) to other parts of the world and firearms belonging to the police and army are easily accessible to criminals in the province.
As much as 85% of crime comes from Soweto where much of the police force needs to focus on.
What can be done about this crime problem?
- The 10111 emergency number needs to be sorted out. There are instances recorded whereby citizens have waited as few hours for response. This service really needs to be jacked up. People must keep the numbers of their local police stations for direct contact. They must also keep the phone numbers of their local community patrol / alarm company if one is available.
- There are too little police officers for the amount of crime committed. Perhaps if the pay was better, more people would join the force. There is a budget to pay more policemen so if people are so desperate for jobs, they must join the police force. Beggars can’t be choosers so instead of theft, let the people be trained to become police officers.
- According to an official, some police are actually very unfit and lazy. This must be sorted out ASAP.
- Police must be allocated correctly. Did you know that Tembisa township containing 1 million people has only 1 police station allocated to them. This is ridiculous.
- Drug operations need to be beefed up to catch these criminals since they contribute greatly to murders being committed.
- Add the death penalty and we will keep saying this! It will cut down on crime in general and also save so much costs on jails and used these funds to get the police force stronger than ever.
According to the police chief, a lot more of the focus is now on Gauteng especially in the areas such as Soweto and Tembisa. The police stations with the worse crime rates are being sorted out hopefully.
This is obviously going to take time and the criminals will most probably move away to other provinces.
The crime in the other provinces is actually not that much worse as compared to some other countries. It’s just Gauteng that makes it bad!
Another province that needs to be focused on is KZN (Kwazulu Natal). KwaMashu (north of Durban), Kwa-Zulu Natal, is South Africa’s murder capital having 235 murders last year (2009) and has a population of just over 500,000. More focus needs to be put on this area.